“This is truly an epic undertaking and a seriously awesome adventure, which is impressively both a love letter to old skool dungeons and their creators both in and out of game.” – Curse of Sebs
“There is a little bit of something for everyone in this adventure, and it is really fairly priced for what you get!” – Comics, Clerics, & Controllers d20 Roll: Nat 20
The Great Trial is a 5e adventure for characters starting at 7th-level and ending at 10th-level. It’s a dungeon consisting in the 3 levels, where the first level is the lowermost one and the last is the uppermost one:
- First level is composed by mean traps, puzzles and combat;
- Second level is a labyrinth with a construct Minotaur – the Minotal – and an iron wyvern, brand new creatures;
- The last and uppermost level is actually a jungle-like demi-place filled with dinosaurs in an open world format.
Aenor Gleenwith, a powerful elf wizard, wants to make history alongisde Acererak for his Tomb of Horror and Halaster for his Undermountain. So he created his own dungeon. To test its efficiency, he captures adventurers and puts them in the lowermost level, where they need to work together to survive and leave the dangerous place. At the end, Aenor himself greets the group offering them apologies for the harm caused, to fix all damage caused and also rewarding them for the forced help.
This module can be run in any setting, campaign, or as a one-shot. It should take around 10 to 14 hours to complete it since it contains 3 Chapters.
- A 49 pages PDF with the adventure itself with lower quality maps and 6 new creatures
- A separated file called “The Great Trial – Maps.zip” which contains 11 unique, highly detailed and high quality maps (26 with their different versions):
- Level 1: DM, player and light versions
- Level 2: DM, player and light versions
- Halaster level: DM, Player and Hexless versions
- Furious Zombie Ape Battle Map: standard and light versions
- Minotal Battle Map: standard and light versions
- Random Encounters for Halaster Level:
- Random Encounter – Beach: Grid and Gridless
- Random Encounter – Plains & Cliff: Grid and Gridless
- Random Encounter – River: Grid and Gridless
- Random Encounter – River & Cliff: Grid and Gridless
- Random Encounter – Labyrinth: 4 versions
- A text file with resources and additional content to help you run the adventure
- A discount link to the sequel, The Great Trial: Frostbite
Any feedback or comment on the adventure is most welcome!
What to expect?
This adventure works best as standalone, as it takes your party from level 7 to 10, or 11 if you decide to get its sequel, The Great Trial: Frostbite.
Additionally, it’s heavy on exploration and combat, having only a few opportunities for the social pillar:
- Dungeon Level: A friendly ghost, a former participant of the Trial, may be convinced to help the party
- Lebyrinth Level: A revenant, also a former adventurer, died in the labyrinth and wishes to get revenge on Aenor, but they’re stuck in the labyrinth
- “Halaster” Level: there are a few social opportunities in this level.
- Zyx, an imp working for Aenor, can provide some limited information to the party
- A tribe of lizardfolk lives in an island in the south, their leader can help the party
- A group of lizardfolk hunters is hunting on the main land